Every affiliate marketer has a STRONG opinion when it comes to how often to send email to a list.
In fact, the other day I asked this very question on the Warrior Forum.
The response I got back was varied:
- Some recommend broadcasting a message every two weeks
- Others do it on a weekly basis
- Many deliver email twice a week
- And a few say a daily email works best
So what’s the answer?
How often should you send email to a list?
I can only give you my opinion. But it’s an opinion that comes from over six years of email marketing experience. So I’d like to think it’s a good one…
You should send email (at least) every five to six days.
This is the bare minimum!
I don’t like the idea of sending a message every seven days (or each week.) That’s because you’re hitting people on the same exact day each week. I’m sure this creates a sense of expectation. But it can make your emails become boring and predictable. Not a good thing.
A message every 5/6 days helps you stay in contact with subscribers. It also doesn’t overwhelm them with too much information. This is the perfect number for anyone who is getting started with email marketing.
I don’t recommend you wait any longer than six days between each message. This is a quick way to get slapped with the “who the hell is this guy?” label that happens to many email marketers. When this happens it’s goodbye subscriber, hello spam bin. Again…not a good thing.
We’ve talked about the bare minimum. So what do I suggest?
Well, I’ve tinkered with email frequency for the last few years. During this time, I’ve come up with a blueprint that lets you stay in touch with subscribers without being too aggressive:
Start by emailing subscribers four times in the first week. 1st email when they subscribe. The 2nd email two days later. The 3rd another two days later. And three days later you’ll send the 4th. This works out to be a 0,2,2,3 interval.
The trick here is to provide a TON of value upfront. In fact, don’t send any affiliate promotions or offers during this week. These email messages are designed to demonstrate your expertise in this niche.
From week 2-4 you’ll send an email two times (each week.) Again this is a continuation of demonstrating value to subscribers. You can weave in the occasional affiliate offer. But you want people to enjoy your messages and get value from everything you send.
You want to vary the interval here. Try this: 3,4,2,4,3,3,5. It doesn’t work out to be exactly twice a week. But it’s great for hitting subscribers on different days
After one month limit email messages to four or five days. By now subscribers know and trust your messages (hopefully.) Your goal here is to maintain correspondence without being that aggressive affiliate marketer that we all hate.
You can debate all day long about email frequency. The important question to ask is: Are my emails working? In other words are you getting positive results from your list?
There are a few ways to find out. I suggest you ask these four questions:
- Are you getting personal replies and questions to each email?
- Are you maintaining a steady percentage on your open rates?
- Are your unsubscribes (about) the same for each message?
- Are you making money from the affiliate products you promote?
Answer ‘Yes’ to these questions and you have an effective email campaign. But if all you’re hearing is the sound of crickets then it’s time to make some adjustments!
Bottom line. Email frequency is only one piece of the puzzle when it comes to list building. There are also a number of important factors like: The value you provide, what you promote, and who you associate with online. All are super important for creating a list that gets results.
Want to know more?
Here are few resources that will improve your email marketing:
- How to Build an Affiliate Autoresponder Sequence without “Burning” a List: This massive post details the autoresponder strategy I’ve used on one list since 2006. I’ve tweaked this strategy in the last year. But it still provides a great plan for creating an autoresponder sequence.
- 14 Ways to Revive a Lifeless Autoresponder Sequence: This article is full of tips that will fine tune the results you get from email marketing.
- 111 Affiliate Marketing Strategies: One trick I used to learn list building is to study other affiliate marketers. I encourage you to do the same! Join my email list and see how I talk to subscribers. Believe me…you’ll learn a lot from my emails.
- Autoresponder Madness: This course will show you how to create a rock-solid email campaign. It’s definitely pricey. But without a doubt, it’s the best course I’ve ever read on email marketing!
Email frequency is an important part of list building as an affiliate marketer. I recommend sending a message every couple of days. But many disagree with this. Some send more. Some send less.
So what is your opinion? How often should you send email?
Comment below and let me know your thoughts…Take Action. Get Results.