To successfully promote products and achieve internet lifestyle with your online business, you need to learn a thing or two about copywriting. If the word copywriting sends shivers down your spine, don’t let it. Copywriting is simply the use of words to promote something. Just think of copywriting as promotional material—the goal of good, successful copywriting is to persuade people.
I’ll admit right now that I don’t have a natural talent for copywriting. You might find this surprising because I’m definitely living the life I want to live thanks to my online businesses, but I’ve created an online copywriting swipe file that helps me out drastically.
Find Copywriting that Works
Talented copywriters are effective at what they do. Their taglines, ads, websites, email and other internet content works—it gets people to purchase something or join something. If you haven’t heard the name before, Denny Hatch is one of the greatest copywriters of our time. He can create feelings of flattery, guilt, anger and more with words … and persuade people in the process. He can also measure what works and what doesn’t. Just like any business or idea can flop, copywriting isn’t always as effective as we hope it’ll be.
This is where the online copywriting swipe file comes in!
Find content that you know has worked successfully for others, and save the items so you can use them to your benefit. No, I’m not telling you to go around stealing slogans and jingles, because that will definitely do more harm than good … but it is okay to study and learn. Effective copywriters like Denny Hatch have made a small fortune selling books that are basically the equivalent of an online copywriting swipe file, but you can make your own with just a little effort.
Your Online Copywriting Swipe File is a Work in Progress
I’ve been filling my apartment with swipe files for years and they have always been integral to the success of my online business because—I’m admitting this again— I don’t have a natural talent for copywriting.
You can easily create massive folders of swipe file material that covers areas which are critical to the success of your online business:
- Blog post headlines— which blog posts out there rank high on the search engines? Their headlines have something to do with their ranking as well as the number of comments, votes, tweets, Facebook “likes,” etc. that they’ve received.
- Email marketing subject lines— which emails were convincing enough that you opened them and made a purchase or joined a website?
- Sales page materials such as headlines, transition statements, opening lines, closing lines—these can all work to your benefit when you need an idea or two
- Different types of autoresponders— you can swipe these by signing up for email newsletters from top-notch sites in your niche
- Links to blog posts which have a lot of popularity in your niche—create a nice, big list of popular posts so you can easily reference them
Creating a swipe file is an effective way to improve your own copywriting skills. I’ve created swipe files for each of the different online businesses that I run because they all contain unique things. You don’t have to create yours in one sitting—it’s a work in progress. When you re-read something that makes you say “Ah ha!” while you’re working on your business a few months down the road, you’ll be glad you put the time into creating an online copywriting swipe file.
A Special Swipe File gift for you:
Still a little unsure of how a swipe file can help you -or- what a swipe file even consists of? Well let me share with you one of my personal swipe files. This is blogging swipe file I have collected over a year or so. It shows headlines that grab the attention and garner results. Remember the purpose of these swipe files is not to “steal” the material, but to use them to get inspiration to create your own killer headlines.